10 Tips for Cheaper Car Insurance
Here are our top 10 tips for cheaper car insurance:
- 1. Get as many quotes as you can, online and via telephone.
- 2. Consider increasing your policy excess.
- 3. Remove optional car insurance policy extras that you do not need.
- 4. Provide an accurate valuation of your car. If you declare a higher value this may increase your premium, however in the event of a claim the insurer will only pay out the current market value.
- 5. At renewal if you choose to stay with your current insurer never automatically accept their renewal quote, they will usually be able to reduce the premium further if you call them. Some insurance companies will give you a cheaper quote if you cancel the renewal and take out a new policy with them.
- 6. Make car insurance companies compete for your policy.
- 7. Try adding older named drivers who have a good driving records.
- 8. Take care not to overestimate your annual mileage, every 1000 miles you declare will increase your premium.
- 9. Tweak your job title, your job role can be declared in different ways and will often result in different premiums e.g. a pub owner could be classed as a publican or landlord. For more information please see this BBC news article.
- 10. Once you have received a quote you are happy with, do not be afraid to phone the insurance company and ask them to reduce it further.
Enter your email address and join the Car Insurance Explained newsletter: